Veganuary - one month vegan diet - What can you achieve?
Table of contents:
- What is the Veganuary good for?
- What you can achieve with just one month vegan
- Veganuary: effects on health
What are the benefits of Veganuary?Since Veganuary was launched in 2014, 2 million people have already taken part in the month-long campaign (as of January 5, 2022), with impressive results:
- Around 6.7 million fewer animals were needed for animal production and thus saved from an agonizing life.
- In addition, almost 208,000 tons of CO2 equivalents were saved, which corresponds to more than one million flights between Munich and Paris (one-way flight).
- Approximately 810 tons of phosphate equivalents were reduced. This corresponds to around 3,290 tonnes of waste water, liquid manure and fertilizers, which therefore do not end up in the soil and water.
- Further benefits for the environment: around 12.4 million liters of water were saved, which is equivalent to around one million toilet flushes.
What can you achieve by going vegan for just one month?In just one month of eating vegan, you will save
- 124,920 liters of water
- 612 kilograms of grain
- 83.4 square meters of forested land
- 270 kilograms of CO2 equivalents
- 30 animal lives
(Source: Cowspiracy - The secret of sustainability)
Are you already vegan and want to find out how many animals you have already saved? You can easily find out with the Veganalyser calculation program. The program can also calculate how many animals you will save in your lifetime if you go vegan from today, no matter where you are in the world: to the Veganalyser.
What you can achieve in just one month of 'eating vegan' is reason enough to give the vegan diet a try. You can also read more information in our blog post.
What's more, there are now an incredible number of meat alternatives that will definitely make the transition to a vegan diet easier for you. So sign up for the Veganuary here. That way, we're sure to top January 2021!
Veganuary surveys from last year show that around 40% of Veganuary participants decide to stay vegan beyond January, and almost half of participants want to eat fewer animal products in the future.
Note: Even if you don't go vegan after the one month: Many plant-based recipes are a great change and inspiration that you can still incorporate into your diet. You can also find delicious vegan recipes here: Recipes.
Veganuary: effects on your healthOf course, going vegan for a month also has an impact on your health: According to a survey of Veganuary participants, the first positive changes are noticeable after about a week. After the first week, you feel much more alert and fitter and therefore more efficient. Digestion also improves when you give up animal products. As a rule, people also lose a lot of weight by switching to a vegan diet without having to starve themselves. A weight loss of 1-2 kilograms after the first week is not uncommon. However, this is due to water retention and not body fat. Nevertheless, you feel lighter, which in turn has a positive effect on your general health.
The first measurable changes occur after about a month. As a rule, LDL cholesterol and uric acid levels fall and elevated blood sugar levels improve. High blood pressure can also normalize due to the high potassium intake on a vegan diet.
There are also effects on chronic inflammation, such as rheumatic diseases. You can read more about this topic in our blog post.
Inflammatory diseases - relief through a vegan diet